Sunday, November 28, 2010

"Any Other Gospel"

The word gospel just means good news; and there is no other gospel than the one brought to us by Jesus Christ and taught by the apostles.

Note the words of Paul in his letter to the Galatians, Gal. 1:6, "I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said to you before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed." We can see from this that there are people who want to pervert the true gospel. And the sentiment here is so strong that he repeats the warning.

These verses are followed by this: "For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ. But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ."

The gospel then is special. It came to us by Jesus Christ. And there is only one. Note these verses from 2Timothy 3:16, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

We must treat the gospel of Jesus Christ as special, live by it, and teach it; spread the good news! Thanks for reading. Have a blessed week!

No comments:

Post a Comment