Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Church

It is interesting to look at the progression of "the church" in the New Testament. It is noteworthy that Jesus said in Matthew 16:18, in talking with Peter, "on this rock I will build My church." This followed a conversation between Jesus and Peter, where Peter made the statement, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." This is the foundation of the church: the fact that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. But note that He said, "I will build My church;" not I am building or have built. In fact, Jesus didn't start the church during His lifetime. He could have; but He chose to leave that to the Apostles.

The Apostles were instructed as to why He was leaving it to them, and how it would happen. In John 15:26, He said, "But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of me. And you also will bear witness...." Then in John 16:7, "It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you." Then in verse 13, "However, when He, the Spirit of truth has come, He will guide you into all truth.."

We see the fulfilment of all this in Acts 1 & 2. In Acts 1 we see Jesus leave the earth, first telling the Apostles to wait in Jerusalem for power on high; i.e., the Holy Spirit is sent back as Jesus promised. In Acts 2, the Spirit comes upon the Apostles; Peter makes a speech, and many people in Jerusalem become Christians by repenting and being baptized. This is where the church has its beginning, here in Jerusalem as recorded in Acts 2.

Following this beginning, the rest of the New Testament tells us of the development of the church, how Christians went everywhere teaching and establishing churches. The book of Ephesians talks a lot about the church and how important it is to Jesus. It is described as the bride of Christ in Eph. 5:23. We need to be sure that we are a part of His church, knowing that He loves it....and died for it.

Thanks for reading. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment