Sunday, March 20, 2011

Egypt

Here are two thoughts to consider. More than any other statement made by God in the Bible is this: "I AM the Lord." In reading the Old Testament, one will find that God said this more than any other thing. It was so important to Him that we know this one thing. Usually He would say it in conjunction with something else; for example, "I did (such and such) that you will know that I AM the Lord." And it is always I AM. There is no "I was" or "I will be." With God is it is always, "I AM." And Jesus talked in the same way. He said, "I AM the light of the world." "I AM the way, the truth, the life."


The second point here is that God often used the expression in the Old Testament, "I AM the Lord your God who brought you out of Egypt." I would suggest to you that "out of Egypt" is a good thing. Throughout the Old Testament we read where people went into Egypt when they had to "get out of Dodge." In some cases there was a famine elsewhere, such as the case in Genesis 12 where Abram (Abraham) went down to Egypt; it wasn't long before he came "out of Egypt." And Jesus was taken to Egypt by his parents to avoid the Herod's attempt to kill him; he came out as soon as it was safe. Jeremiah was told by God not to go to Egypt near the end of his life, but he was essentially kidnapped by the people and forced to go. And, of course, the Hebrew people were enslaved in Egypt for about 400 years; and it was only through God's help that they were able to escape. Going to Egypt had its place; but leaving Egypt generally, perhaps always, was a good thing.

I was able to go to Egypt in 2009, thankful for the opportunity. I got to go "out of Egypt;" and just my personal feelings: that felt great! You can go to Egypt to see a pyramid up close, or a camel, or a lot of sand. But I am done. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment