Sunday, May 13, 2012

King David

There are volumes that could be written about King David, but in this post I will be focusing on the way that the Bible references David as a type of Christ, a pre-Christ.  We will examine a few of the verses that show the importance that David had in leading up to the Christ coming.

One of the things that we note about David and Jesus is that they were both of the Israelite tribe of Judah.  This is not coincidence; the OT follows the descendants of the person Judah, son of Jacob, down through the generations to King David and on down finally to Jesus.

David has to be considered the greatest king of all time up until the coming of Jesus.  But Daniel in Dan. 2:44 pointed out that there was a kingdom coming that would never be destroyed.  Kings always came and went; but there was one coming that would never go; a kingdom that would last forever.

This subject is referenced in Acts 2, where Peter and the other apostles stand up and make the first gospel sermon.  Note the words of Peter as he quotes David from the OT scriptures, where David was speaking of Jesus to come:  " I foresaw the Lord always before my face, for He is at my right hand, that I may not be shaken.  Therefore my heart rejoiced, and my tongue was glad; moreover my flesh also will rest in hope, for You will not leave my soul in Hades, nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption.  You have made known to me the ways of life; You will make me full of joy in Your presence."  Peter goes on to explain that David, as great as he was, is dead and buried.  But Jesus, the greater king, is reigning in heaven.

David is described in the Bible as a "man after God's own heart." (1Samuel 13:13-14).  But we know that Jesus is the greatest of all kings, Lord of Lords.  Praise be to God.....and His Son!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment