Saturday, September 7, 2013

Direct Commands of Jesus

It would be difficult to cite all of the direct commands that Jesus made as recorded in the New Testament.  But we will mention a few in this blog to demonstrate the nature of His teaching.

"I tell you: Love your enemies.."  Matthew 5.  This was a tough command for anyone to do.....but He had no problem making this a direct command to His followers.

"I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear..."  Matt. 6.  He certainly knew how hard this was for us mortal humans.

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you."  John 15. 

"..Stay in the city (Jerusalem) until you have been clothed with power from on high."  Luke 24.  Said to His apostles before He left them.

"Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.  Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved..."

" 'Who are you Lord?' Saul asked. 'I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,' He replied.  'Now get up and go...."  Acts 9.  This is the account of Saul's conversion, later to be called Paul.

While this last verse is taken out of context, actually they all are, the teaching to "get up and go" might be a good one for us all.  There is a need to follow all of these teachings, but certainly we need to get up and go, get to work, do it now, serve Him, for the time is short on this earth.  I need to heed this as much as anyone.

Ok, thanks for reading.  Serve the Lord.......feel the love.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike, this is Gladys (used to be a friend of Lori and worked at Home Encounter for a while). Love your blog and will forward it to a friend of mine. It is informative, interesting and well written. Thank you for maintaining it!

    I am currently living by God's command to "I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear..." Matt. 6". I quit the job I hated and am allowing the Lord to care for me. Meanwhile, I am in my church choir and volunteer a few hours each week to help administratively. Why didn't I learn all of this long ago! How can so many people not do this now? It makes life peaceful, pleasant and gives you much more time and energy to THANK the Lord and learn about Him and what we need to do in this life! I am so grateful and try spreading the Word as much as possible, within my newness to the Word.

    Take care and keep up the great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great to hear from you, Gladys. And great to hear that you are following my blog. I encourage all readers to become "followers" so that the blog will show up automatically each week in your email. It is great to hear that the Lord is blessing you and that you are trying to bring praise to Him. I wish you all of God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete