Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Race

The Bible talks about our journey here on earth as a race, a challenging effort to succeed and accomplish and to finish.  We will look at a few of the references in this week's blog entry.

Hebrews 12:1 starts:  "...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross...."

1Corinthians 9:24, "Do you not know that in a race all of the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.  No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

But Ecclesiastes 9:11 shows us that this is not about a physical race:  "Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift..."  Solomon goes on to stress the importance of wisdom over speed. 

And finally, we read in Philippians 4:13:  "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

We know that success in this life is not about physical prowess or winning races.  But the Bible gives us guidance in winning the race of life.  And we must continually remind ourselves that this life is about bringing glory to God....so that we can have the life eternal.

Thanks for reading.  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment