Saturday, February 15, 2014

Life

I gave this short talk at a church service this past Weds. and thought you might enjoy hearing it.  Life is a heavy subject.  We all think about the significance of life, the purpose, the result, all about life.  We all see people who suffer, who mourn, who worry; perhaps we are often those people.  I think about people who are born in pain, who live all of their lives in pain and suffering, about people who are in a wheel chair all of their lives.  It reminds me of an occurrence years ago when I visited a small church in Sopchoppy, Fl.  You would have to know that this was one small church.  There was a woman there who had been in a wheel chair from the earliest of childhood due to childhood arthritis.  I was asked to move her after services from her wheelchair to the front seat of the car.  I said "sure" and was honored.  At the appropriate time, I placed the wheelchair close to the car seat, realized that this was one heavy woman with no use of arms or legs...dead weight, so to speak.  I grabbed her, a bit embarrassed, and gave it my all, virtually lunging from the chair to the seat.  We barely made it onto the edge of the car seat.  She said, "Come again."  I grabbed her again and gave it a mighty heave to shift her further onto the seat.  She barely moved.  She said, "Come again."  I grabbed her and heaved!  She said, "Come again."  I grabbed her and heaved!!  She said......."No.  I mean Come Again to Church!!!"  Needless to say, I was most embarrassed.........

Realizing that life has its ups and downs, but a whole lot of downs, we look to the Bible for answers.  When we read the writing of King Solomon in the book of Ecclesiastes, we see the final opinion of a great king who had everything, every amount of wealth, comfort, women, play, you name it.  He said that all was vanity, worthless, in this life.  None of these things make life great.  He said, "He who loves silver, will not be satisfied with silver."

So what is the answer?  The answer is Jesus Christ.  Jesus said in John 11, when talking with his good friend Martha at the time that Lazarus had died, "I am the resurrection and the life.  He who believes in  Me, though he dies, he shall live.  Whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die." Wow; who could resist an offer like that?  Then He said, "Do you believe this?"

And that is the question to each one of us.  "Do you believe this?"  The offer of life eternal is too good to pass up; we only have to follow Jesus to never die.  Whatever pain and suffering and sorrow must be endured here, we have the great offer of life forever with Him.  Let's do it!

Thanks for reading.  Feel the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment