Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sayings of Jesus on the Cross

Some people would recognize some of the sayings of Jesus on the cross.  Few people could tell you how many different sayings He made there.  So today, in the interest of learning something you never knew, I will briefly review these sayings.

Firstly, I should say that there were 7 different sayings that Jesus made while on the cross.  I never knew this before; I simply went through and counted them.  They are recorded in the 4 gospels, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.  They are scattered throughout the 4 books; no one book contains all of the seven sayings.  It seems that more are recorded in Luke and John than elsewhere.

Here are the 7 sayings, recorded not necessarily in order.  Because they are distributed throughout the 4 gospel books, it seems impossible to determine the exact order of His speaking.

"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

To the thief: "Today you shall be with me in Paradise."

To His mom, regarding John: "Mother, behold your son."  Then to John, "Behold your mother."

"My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me?"

"I thirst."

"It is finished."

"Father, into your hands I commit my soul."

So you may be saying, "I knew all of these sayings."  But I'll bet you didn't know there were 7.  And if you did know that there were seven, you are smarter than me, and you should be writing this blog.  OK, enough smart talk.  Thank you for staying with me, for taking the time to read.  May God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment