Saturday, June 13, 2015

The Lord

It has been mentioned in this blog before that the most often spoken phrase from God Himself is, "I AM the LORD."  It is obvious from study of the Old Testament that recognition of God as Lord is of extreme importance to Him. 

In reading the Psalms, I noticed this phrase in Psalm 81:10.  It says, "I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt.  Open wide your mouth and I will fill it.  But My people would not listen to Me; Israel would not submit to Me.  So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices."  In this passage we see the rejection of God's people in old days.  Perhaps the question here is, "Are we doing this today?"

And reading this passage I cannot help but think of Moses.  He argued with God when God came to him and told him he would be leading His people out of Egyptian captivity.  Moses did not think he was the man for this job...and put up quite a debate with God over the matter.  But we know that God would not take no for an answer, and Moses was the chosen leader.  He even said to God, "When I go to the people to tell them, who shall I say sent me?"  And God said, "Tell them I AM sent you."  God is the great I AM; not was... or is to be... but just I AM.  He is and always is.

And Jesus addressed the importance of Moses several times.  One good example is John 5:45, where Jesus says, "Do not think I came to accuse you before the Father.  You have one who accuses you: Moses, on whom your hopes are set.  If you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me."  All of the Jewish people of that day...and really any day....knew about Moses.  But where Moses wrote about the fact that a Messiah would come one day, they didn't really believe or take note.  And Jesus is saying that if they didn't heed Moses, they weren't going to heed Jesus.

And perhaps it is that way today to a large extent.  People don't really care so much about Jesus.  Yes, He is the only answer, but most don't care. 

Let us care!  Thanks for reading and have a great week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment