Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sinai Peninsula Pictures
















Having had the opportunity recently to travel to the mid-east and follow the route of the Israelites as they escaped from slavery in Egypt and progressed to the Promised Land, I want to occasionally share some of the pictures that I took along the way. Seeing these things has heightened my understanding of the Bible and I hope that it will give the reader some insight as well.

As the Israelites left Egypt, under God's direction of course, they first crossed the Red Sea. I have included some pictures of the Red Sea here; notice that the color of the sea is similar to what we have here in the Gulf of Mexico. In a later blog, I hope to show pictures of the Dead Sea and other waters, like the river Jordan; these are totally different in color.

Just from the pictures you can see that the sea is quite large. God had no problem parting the waters, but it was a lot of water to part.

The rest of the pictures herein show examples of the wilderness in which the Israelites wandered for 40 years due to their distrust of God. It is mountainous in many places with some flat areas scattered throughout. But it is always rocky and desolate.

In many places of the Sinai Peninsula there are caves and dwelling places cut into the rocks where Bedouin Tribes have lived. There are still small tribes occupying this area, though they are scattered and sparse. It is the most difficult environment I have ever seen, don't know how anyone could eke out a living of any sort.

I have some good pictures of what is thought to be the true Mount Sinai where Moses received the 10 commandments from the Lord. I hope to include these in an upcoming entry. So stay with me. There will be interesting things coming, I feel. Have a great week!











No comments:

Post a Comment