Sunday, March 7, 2010

Jordan River







The Bible, both Old Testament and New Testament, talks a lot about the Jordan River. And from some of the passages we know that the river has never been a particularly clean one. Note the story of Naaman in 2Kings 5. Having had the opportunity to see the Jordan River recently, I thought I should share a few pictures as well as some observations.

The first thing of note is that the river is not very large. The width must be about 50 feet to maybe 100 feet at it's widest. The pictures shown here give some indication of size. Secondly, the river is extremely dirty. Many rivers look dirty but aren't necessarily as dirty as they look. The Jordan, however is dirtier than it looks. I took off my shoes and waded, just on the edge. Had I gone out into the river, it would have been too deep for me to stay dry, to wade across. But the river is thick with mud; not just a muddy bottom, but muddy water, like mud soup. coming out of the water was to bring a lot of that with me on my feet. It was a muddy mess.
In these pictures you will see several views. Note that the picture with the rapids is at the headwaters of the Jordan, high in the hills, flowing down to the flat lands and valleys below.
That is it for this week. Thanks for viewing...... and see you next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment