Saturday, October 2, 2010

Avoiding Sin

Avoiding Sin is a really hard subject. Certainly for me it is because I have my struggles; but we all do. Paul, in writing Romans, discussed this challenge in the latter part of chapter 7. He says in verse 15, "For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do." And in verse 20 he says it is "sin that dwells in me." We all have that to wrestle with; but fortunately the Bible gives us some solutions, and it challenges us to overcome.

I especially like the last words of the book of Jude. It says, "Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy. To God our Savior, who alone is wise, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and forever. Amen." Note the first part of this quote, "..to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling.." How is He going to do that? I have found that He will intervene if we want Him to, if we ask Him to. But He will not override our will; if we are absolutely determined to sin, He will let us.

Many times, however, I have asked for Him to deliver me from sin, especially when I saw a particular problem coming. And it worked; the problem just went away. I truly believe He gets directly involved in our lives.....if we let Him.

And the final solution to be mentioned here is that we need to solicit His help through prayer. Jude 20 says, "But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying...." When we see a problem coming, we should pray for deliverance.

Thanks for reading! Maybe you could pass this blog address on to a friend; let's spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment