Saturday, March 23, 2013

Difficulty in Being a Christian

When we read the words of Jesus in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, we realize that being a Christian is a great opportunity; i.e., peace is given to us in this life, and we are promised the beautiful life beyond this one.  But it is also often difficult.  An example of the kinds of things that the Bible teaches against is given in Romans 1:28, ".....things which are not fitting; being filled with all unrighteousness, sexual immorality, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness; they are whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, violent, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, undiscerning, untrustworthy, unloving, unforgiving, unmerciful...."  These are all things that we are to avoid.

But we see later in this same book, Paul's letter to the Roman Christians, that Paul is struggling with a lot of moral issues himself.  Note Romans 7:15, "For what I am doing, I do not understand.  For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do."  And later, "For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice."  I do not know all that Paul is struggling with here; but it is obvious that he is having great difficulty with some things.

But life is like that; and sin is like that.  We struggle in this life; yet we are to strive to do right, to live right, to do others right, to think right.  We know from further reading the words of Paul that he conquered these challenges to his faith.  And we need to conquer our challenges. 

Jesus promises life, eternal life in heaven, with Him if we follow Him; if we live for Him.  This is our challenge.  Let's meet it!  "Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.  To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne; as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.  He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." (Revelation 3:20)

Have a great week.   Feel the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment