Sunday, March 17, 2013

Truth

Truth brings lots of questions.  What is truth?  Does truth really exist?  Is it within us...or without?  It is interesting that the Bible answers all the major questions of life:  Where we came from, the purpose of life, where we are going, and, yes, what is truth. 

When Jesus was about to meet His death, He stood before Pontus Pilate, the Roman governor, to be tried.  In John 18:36, Jesus said, " 'My kingdom is not of this world.  If My kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews.  But My kingdom is not from the world.'  Then Pilate said to Him, 'So you are a king?'  Jesus answered, 'You say that I am a king.  For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world--to bear witness to the truth.  Everyone who is of the truth listens to My voice.'  Pilate said to Him, 'What is truth?' "  At this point, Jesus could have given him an answer, but Pilate would not have benefited from it, for his heart just wasn't right.  But we know what Jesus would have said; just read on. 

In John 14, Jesus was talking with His apostles about having to leave them and what would happen to them.  Thomas said, "Lord, we do not know where You are going.  How can we know the way?"  "Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  This is the answer that Jesus could have given Pilate; "I AM the truth!"

The importance of truth is shown in John 8:32.  "If you abide in My word, you are truly My disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."  Those listening then asked what He meant by "free," whereupon He explained that He meant free from sin.  When people sin, they become a "slave to sin." Jesus came to provide a solution to this slavery; He came to free us from this.  But Hebrews 10:26 points out: "..if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment...."  So Jesus saves us....but only if we follow Him. 

And finally, "Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart, since you have been born again, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding word of God..."  (1 Peter 1:22)

Truth matters.....and it is only found in the Bible.  God gave it to us through His Word.  Have a great week.  You matter......

No comments:

Post a Comment