Sunday, June 2, 2013

Things

Things, the desire for things, materialism, is a problem for all of us.  We live in a rich society; we all know that.  And there is nothing wrong with having things, having money.  The problem comes with our attitude.  It is the wanting of things and money and more and more that gets us into trouble. 

Note the passage in 1 Timothy 6:6-10:  "But godliness with contentment is great gain.  For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it.  But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.  People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction.  For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil.  Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."

And the words of Jesus fit that perfectly.  Note Matthew 6:25:  "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.......But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."

In Luke 12:16, Jesus told this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop.  He thought to himself, 'What shall I do?  I have no place to store my crops.'  Then he said, 'This is what I'll do.  I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.  And I'll say to myself,"You have plenty of good things laid up for many years.  Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry." '  But God said to him, 'You fool!  This very night your life will be demanded from you.  Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?  This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.' "  Being "rich toward God" is not so much in money; it is about attitude, love, commitment, a desire to serve. 

Let us have this attitude within us.  Have a great week.  And feel the love........

No comments:

Post a Comment